Encore: Does A Digital Factory Attract New Workers?
January 24, 2023
Hosted by Bonnie D. Graham
Many businesses are struggling to attract and retain skilled workers, with record numbers resigning or retiring. This is particularly true in the manufacturing sector. The Buzz 1: A Manufacturing Institute [MI] survey found that “The Great Resignation” is really more of a “Great Retirement.” 808,000 manufacturing job openings in February 2022 were down from January’s 859,000 [U.S. Census Bureau]…Manufacturing quits rose from 315,000 in January to 337,000 in February, a new record. [rimanufacturers.com/the-great-resignation-or-great-retirement] The Buzz 2: MI’s February survey of 3,000 Americans: 82% of respondents who left a manufacturing job in the past six months retired due to age or health-related reasons. The remaining 18% resigned or were laid off, but 73% of those are back to work in a different manufacturing job, 7% in a different industry and 20% are still looking. The Buzz 3: The manufacturing sector is increasingly viewed as crucial to economic and pandemic recovery, yet outdated public perceptions could be impacting recruitment of vital new workers [Deloitte–MI news release]. 83% of manufacturers surveyed cited attraction and retention of a quality workforce as top concerns. But most workers prefer retail and services over manufacturing jobs. As manufacturers look to automate their operations, are workers in the field and on the shop floor being left behind? Will digital technologies that inform and engage workers – digital signage, AR, VR – help companies access a wider labor pool and attract new workers? We’ll ask Christophe Justeau, Andy Hancock and Johannes Papst for their take on Does A Digital Factory Attract New Workers?
The Future of Mobility and Manufacturing with Game Changers, Presented by SAP
Tuesday at 7 AM Pacific Time/10 AM Eastern Time on VoiceAmerica Business Channel
Game-changing technology strategies are transformational, exciting and disruptive for a reason. They shake up your status quo. They get you thinking about new ways to scale, compete and grow. They move you in amazing new directions.
Join host Bonnie D. Graham as she invites you to take an additional coffee break with game-changers for our special series on how SAP is taking its unrivaled industry expertise into the cloud, on the Future of Mobility and Manufacturing with Game-Changers.
Learn how you can be the savvy Automotive Maestro, Business Transformer, Manufacturing Maven, or Upstart Disruptor who takes your company across the finish line as you look ahead to the next wave of disruption in the automotive and industrial manufacturing sectors.
The Future of Mobility and Manufacturing with Game-Changers, presented by SAP, can be heard live Tuesdays at 7 AM Pacific / 10 AM Eastern on the VoiceAmerica Business Channel.
Bonnie D. Graham
Bonnie D. Graham produced and hosted her first live talk radio show in 1998 on AM1240–WGBB, Long Island, NY’s oldest terrestrial radio station. A few years later, she moved from terrestrial to Internet radio with her author interview show, “Up Close and Personal.” In 2011, working at the enterprise software leader SAP, she developed the concept for a weekly live global business thought leadership roundtable series on the VoiceAmerica Business Channel – and launched “Coffee Break with Game-Changers” on October 5, 2011. Over the next nine years, Bonnie D. created, produced and hosted 46 additional SAP series on the Business Channel, attracting millions of listeners around the world. Since becoming an independent broadcaster in 2019, she has developed and hosted live radio and podcast series on the Business Channel for eight additional organizations, as well as her own weekly series, “Read My Lips: Cool Conversations with Creatives with akaRadioRed,” on the Empowerment Channel. In 2023, her live-streaming “Technology Revolution: The Future of Now” series was ranked No. 6 on FeedSpot’s Top 70 Technology Podcasts to Listen to in 2023. What powers Bonnie D.’s passion for radio? She “loves speaking with smart people!”